Replacing old window with new vinyl replacement window is an easy task for anyone who can handle the tools. Follow these simple steps my friend, a Chesterfield window company representative shared with me during a call.
The tools and materials required are: Hammer, Tape measure, Cordless drill, Caulk gun, Pliers, Level, Utility knife, Putty knife and Protractor.
1. The first sash must be removed. Pull off the molding around the window. This usually contains three pieces of either quarter round, shoe molding, or any other thin decorative wood. After removing this, the bottom “sash” which is another term used for window, will be able to swing outward into the room. When the bottom sash swings, all you have to do is severe the ropes that are tied to the bottom sash. Don’t panic if the weights in the walls falls to the floor with a loud thud.
2. The next step is to remove the second sash which is the harder of the two sash. There is always a divider strip between the two sashes and this divider strip is usually stuck in tightly. You can make this come out easily if you use a well placed chisel to smack it very well. You may have to try this a few times, it depends on the amount of paint on them. They should come out in long whole pieces. Once the divider strips are out, you should be able to remove the top sash the way you removed the the bottom one.
3. The next thing to do is to clear the opening by scraping away any loose wood or paint that may be there and also remove the pulleys guiding the ropes.
4. The old storm window assembly should be removed.
5. If possible, the new vinyl window should be inserted in the closed and locked position. Because of the flexibility of vinyl window frames, the sash, which is the glass part, will help in holding the frame square when you are installing it. Shims should be used to adjust the window unit to the plumb. Then the window frame should be screwed to structural lumber. If it was specified by the manufacturer that the screw placements should hidden by the sash, make sure you put in the new vinyl window frame with the sash removed. Plumb it and level it. Once it is screwed in (six screws should do), place in the vinyl sashes.
6. The last thing to do is to re-install the old strips or new ones of molding on the interior part of the window.
That’s pretty simple, Right? Anyway, you can find more tips here.
The drawback to the flat roof on your home is its tendency to trap heat. Learn about how to make your flat roof reflect heat efficiently below, guided by a Miami Roofing Repair expert;
Specialized roof coatings can help a flat roof to reflect up to 90% of solar heat. The materials includes an elastomeric paint, an asbestos film shield, large polyvinyl chloride (PVC) sheets that has heat-sealed seams or even a thin layer of solar panels that can collect solar energy without any increase in the indoor temperature of your home.
Elastomeric paint contains elastomeric polymer which allows it to expand and contract together with the material on which it is applied. Two coats of bright white elastomeric should be added to your flat roof in order to increase its solar reflectivity.
A single-ply PVC sheathing should be applied to the whole surface if you have a roof that is structurally sound. Reputable installers and manufacturers of PVC sheathing can also help you in upgrading your roof in the future using suitable flashings and vents for fireplace chimneys or skylights. A good PVC sheathing will be warranted to last 15 years in different weather conditions.
Another option is to erect an asbestos film shield that is low-sloped over the flat roof. This will increase solar reflectivity, thereby, preventing the roof from absorbing heat and lightg energy. Make sure you construct it in a way that it will not catch prevailing winds and blow away.
Ultra-thin, solar photovoltaic panels can also be added to your flat roof. These panels will store energy for you for usage in your home, and then send back excess capacity to the local power grid.
It is not every solution to this problem that comes in form of a roof covering. The following ideas of cooling can also be considered.
Install a layer of solid foam insulation directly under your flat roof, if you can afford to replace your ceiling. It will keep out both cold and heat, thereby, improving the energy efficiency of your home.
You can install wind-catchers in the roofing so as to direct cool air downward. Windcatchers haved onion-shaped dome with almost-vertical vanes which will turn even in slight breezes. This vanes force cooler air down a shaft into the home.
Last year when i had no money to hire an expert to remodel my bathroom, even though they were lots of affordable St. Louis bath remodeling expert, I opted for DIY and its was an interesting journey. Here are some things i did and I know it will be of great use to someone reading it;
1. Turn off the water supply either at the valve situated under the sink or at the main valve. Then turn faucet on to relieve any water pressure left in the lines.
2. Loosen the slip nut at the P-trap or remove the entire P-trap if necessary and catch any water left in the trap with a bucket.
3. Loosen the water supply lines with a wrench and disconnect them.
4. Use a utility knife to cut the sealant along the backsplash, then tug on the sink top so as to free it from the wall.
5. Assemble the drain and faucet on the sink before installation.
6. Apply a tiny bead of silicone adhesive to the rim of the sink opening but try not to get it on the face of the cabinet.
7. Set the sink top carefully on the vanity with the help of another person. Make sure the plumbing is lined up and also let the adhesive cure.
8. After the adhesive has cured, the drain should be reconnected and if the tail piece is too long, use a hacksaw to cut it.
9. Connect the water supply lines. If your water supply valves is old and faulty, you will need to replace them. Firstly, you have to turn off the water at the main house valve. If the pipe is a galvanized steel pipe, a pipe wrench should be used to hold the pipe and unscrew the old valve with a wrench. Clean the pipe threads and then wrap them with plumber’s tape. For installation of new valve, use a wrench to hold the pipe in place and tighten the valve.
For pipes that have soldered valves, use a propane torch to heat the junction so as to melt the solder, then remove the valve. In order to avoid burns, pliers should be used to remove the hot valve. Use a heat shield for this type of project. The next thing to do is to clean up the pipe and then attach the new valve with solder.
10. After the installation of your new valves, turn the water on and check if there are any leak. Attach the supply lines to the new valves.
11. Add a thin bead of bathroom caulk on the back edge of the sink.
12. Turn the water on again and test for any leakage. Make necessary adjustments.
Most persons at some point have heard grinding or cracking noises in their neck upon movement. These sounds also known as crepitus, are generally painless and typically do not represent anything dangerous.
Anyway, if the neck cracking sound is go with by swelling, pain or some other relating symptoms, and then it may represent an issue that should be checked by a professional health expert; over here where i stay, chiropractor in St. Louis, MO has been people’s best alternative point of reference when they begin to experience these.
Crepitus, sometimes known as cavitation or creptiation, favor to any kind of sensation or noise such as snapping, popping, cracking or grinding noise that is heard during neck action. For instance, feel a cracking sensation in the neck when moving the head to back up the vehicle.
Some likely causes of neck cracking should contain
Different studies have been done deliberately cracking the synovial joints of the fingers, but the results in medical text as to what is exactly making the noise have been combined. In particular, a study released in 1971 presented that the cracking noise of a joint was caused the gaseous bubble bursting in the joint. Anyway, a study released in 2015 reported that that cracking sound was exactly from the bubble being created.
Another easy factor in neck cracking could be snapping sound of tendons and ligaments as they move over bones or other tendons or muscles placed in the neck area.
While a rare reason of neck cracking, it is easy for bone to crush against bone if the cartilage has down. This situation is known as osteoarthritis. It happens gradually with the general aging process, or it can be accelerated if there has been a shocking injury such as sports-related or whiplash injury.
This kind of precipitation is generally accompanied by pain, restricted neck motion, and the cracking sound is generally repeated over and over with each action. This experience is in contract to the typical gas bubble structure crack, where it generally takes about twenty minutes before cavitation, or the cracking can again happen.
It is not always affordable or practical to spend a lot of money on a large bathroom remodel. You can reduce remodeling costs in many ways to enjoy a big savings and you will still get all the changes you want. A well remodeled bathroom can look like a million bucks, without you actually spending much on it. Use this tips and simple remodeling ideas to save on costs.
Most homeowners do not have great knowledge of plumbing or electricity, but there are still plenty of ways you can change the look of the bathroom. To save money on a remodeling job, the best thing you can do is do as much of the work yourself as possible.
You will need an expert if you want to move walls in the room as it is dangerous to remove load-bearing walls. You can create in-wall storage, however, by knocking out the drywall and exposing the studs. This is a doable work that you can easily do by yourself.
Use a keyhole saw and a hammer to remove a section of drywall in a square. Make sure not to cut into the wooden supports that create the frame of the wall. Now, fill the square with shelves, then block the gaps at the top and bottom with a 2 by 4 across the stud bay. You can then paint it to match the rest of the room.
A fresh coat will do wonders for any room. Pick a bright, light color so as to make the room appear larger. To freshen up the entire room, paint the trim and walls. You should lay drop cloths all over the floor and fixtures before you start painting. Also, apply painters tape along walls and tile borders.
Purchase new vent covers, switch plates and towel rods. All these items are easy to remove and reinstall. If you make use of a power drill, the work will be faster. Prior to painting, remove the old stuff and replace them with the new material once the paint has dried.
Although you can’t do all the work yourself, if you only do the legwork, you can save yourself some money. If you are planning to replace fixtures in the bathroom, like the toilet and the faucets, look around and price these items out yourself as a contractor may charge you more for these items. Make comparisons and purchase the materials yourself to save some cash.